Thursday, June 20, 2002

An Over-Discussed Topic - The Mp3 Issue

Good Morning Kids! It is bright and earlier and I am in a positively fabulous mood today. I think it has something to do with the sun being out, and the fact that tonight I will get to hold my little Clie in my hand and profess my undying affection for it. I know we haven't even met yet, but I really feel as though this is the one. Insanity is delicious.

This morning, as I fumbled around on the internet looking for fun software or interesting news to discuss, I got to thinking about Audiogalaxy. For those of you who don't know, Audiogalaxy is a website (that has been around since the beginning, although they only served as an FTP server for most of their life) which has recently had suit filed on them for copyright infringement. Now, this website has actually tried to keep all copyright protected (or at least the ones that they are asked about) music unavailable for download. I could not for the LIFE of me get Incubus - Morning View off of Audiogalaxy. And yet, they are now offline, while Kazaa, a company that packs its software with so much spyware that you can't even USE it without it, continues to live on.

But forget about the people who write the software. Forget about the millions of people who share their mp3's per day. What about the companies like "Creative Labs" who are making money OFF of Mp3's? For $400 USD you can buy yourself a nomad - a time saving device (unlike burning) and waltz around the world with an enormous amount of 'legal' mp3s. Legal? Who are these guys kidding? If the RIAA wants to go after all parties promoting the use and distribution of Mp3's, the Mp3 Jukebox must as well be targeted.

One might argue that because you have to be relatively well off to make a purchase such as this, either that or scrimp and save - that you are more likely to have "legal" mp3s. Right, like all that cool, free, low quality crap that I find all over the place? It's not likely. But because you bought the Nomad, you can have your Mp3s.

Ridiculous.

The whole arguement is ridiculous, and will never come to agreement. The way I see it? the RIAA will go flat assed broke suing everyone they can. And right when they are have officically declared bankruptcy, Napster will be online. You can't fight a battle against the majority.

If CD prices were lower, people wouldn't have soo much of a problem buying them, but for 15.99? I can buy 15 CD's and do it myself. I would be MORE than willing to send the artist their share (if I liked the music) - but I don't want to pay for Joe's Delivery who delievered the cd to the mega-music store that has enough money.

Here are some of those stupid jukebox things that you can't plug into your big stereo leaving you with a bunch of mp3's. (this is why I burn)

Creative Labs - The Nomad - 20 Gig They have these things in freaking 40 gigs too..
The Rio Riot - Rio was one of the first ones to come out with an Mp3 player.. the Napster of players one could say.
Un-fucking-believable, even Nike is getting in on this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home