Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Happy Turkey Day Yankees!

Ahhh, Thanksgiving. The day that celebrates the natives and the immigrants coming together to eat. And today is American Thanksgiving. Which leads me to my thought...

Why do Canadians celebrate Thanksgiving? And WHY is it a month early? So I Googled (of course, I didn't actually Google, I just typed it into my ever-so-handy Mozilla Firefox address bar).....

"Canadian Thanksgiving History"

It of course took me to a neat little page for kids that described our historical Thanksgiving meal... The following excerpt provides us with (what seems to be) the original story (see the page here)

"The origins of Canadian Thanksgiving are more closely connected to the traditions of Europe than of the United States. Long before Europeans settled in North America, festivals of thanks and celebrations of harvest took place in Europe in the month of October. The very first Thanksgiving celebration in North America took place in Canada when Martin Frobisher, an explorer from England, arrived in Newfoundland in 1578. He wanted to give thanks for his safe arrival to the New World. That means the first Thanksgiving in Canada was celebrated 43 years before the pilgrims landed in Plymouth, Massachusetts! "


Oooookay.. So basically, we have no real reason for Thanksgiving... I mean, Martin Frobisher could not have started the entire holiday, what did he do? Go town to town like Paul Bunyan and say "Hey Guys! Cook a turkey, it is Thanksgiving!" Not likley. And anyway...

It seems to be a lot less glamorous than the American holiday. Kill some natives, then eat with them, then slowly but surely marginalize them. Now that is something to celebrate. (If you do not see my sarcasm here, then perhaps you should switch blogs to read.. note the neat little button in the right hand corner of your screen that says "next blog)

Awe hell, if you can't beat 'em? Join 'em. Turkey, here I come!

I hope all is well in your world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home