Friday, September 13, 2002

9/11 One Year Later

9/11 for me was a hectic, heartbreaking, emotional day. My boyfriends father worked in the North tower, luckily enough, he was not yet at work, and realized that he didn't need to work when he saw the building on fire. He caught the last train back home to safety. There obviously is more to this story, and there was alot of prayer and emotion in between those lines but that is the gist of what I need to say at this time. The funny thing is, that while each day over the past year, 9/11 has popped into my head at one point or another, and I remembered all the tragic deaths and how that must have affected so many peoples lives - I never really got it until 9/11/02. I watched television all night with Kat, about the babies who have since been born fatherless, and the struggle for the children who are teenagers - daddies who are missing proms. Daddies who are missing everything, and all because of some hate and misunderstanding of one another.

As a Canadian, I do not agree with the way that the United States has marched into Isreal expecting to fix a fight that has been going on for thousands of years. While I understand and see the need for resolution, I do not believe that one can pick sides, one can only mediate. Even though I feel this way, I do not think that the events of 9/11 were called for. I have also been continually disgusted with the way people assume that one Muslim's actions reflect those of the whole group. Just because America has citizens like those seen on Jerry Springer, does that mean every American is like that? While I admit that there have been some nervous times when I have seen overtly Muslim men in the last year, I constantly am telling myself the above serum.

What I found interesting this week for you all to read up on (buy the magazine if you can, its a great business magazine if your interested in it) is from Fast Company's September issue. It contains people who were in New York in relatively prominant positions (and sometimes not) but how they were affected by 9/11 and they way they change what they think. While it is not the most emtional piece that I have read/seen, it is the most relateable. Some people lost people they loved, some didn't - all were affected. Which leads me to my final point. Just because you weren't there, you aren't American, or someone you know didn't die, doesn't mean you weren't affected. While it hits more close to home for those people, 9/11 fucked with everyone. Thats why we all need to band together and continue to remember, and to fight for what is right. Equality on all fronts, religion, class, race, sex, culture - whatever it may be. And of course, there's always the old serum mom and pop used to use "Keep your nose where it belongs"

You can read the Fast Company article here, your comments are welcomed, and the guestbooks is always open for those who frequent the site, or just stopped by. Thanks for reading.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home