Thursday, February 27, 2003

It's A Very Sad Day In The Neighbourhood

On numerous occasions, I have mentioned how much childhood meant to me, the older I got. Today, Mr. Rogers died. Mr. Rogers to me was a wonderful person who kept us all dreaming and learning at the same time. He taught me about fish. He taught me about manners, he taught me about art and friends. Mr. Rogers was a staple of my childhood and many many children who came before me. While I am very very tired right now, I felt compelled to write something about this, because I am truly sad that my children will never get to see Mr. Rogers. Perhaps in repeats but never in truth. Of course, Mr. Rogers has been off the air for some time now, but there was still some comfort in knowing that somewhere in the world, Mr. Rogers was living.

To Canadian children, there was another mister that will remain close to their hearts - and his two friends, Casey and FInnagan. You kids out there know that I am talking about Mr. Dressup. Mr. Dressup made us laugh, made us cry, and made us want puppets that talked. I hope he stays around long enough for me to bring my kids to his show.

And then there was Sherri Lewis and her lambchop. The woman who penned "this is the song that never ends" in my mind. I loved lambchop's playalong. Why are all my favorites dying?

Sharon Lois and Bram, Raffi, The Polka Dot Door. I have watched kids tv with Karson on numerous occasions, and nothing comes close to these shows. Luckily, there will always be Sesame Street... But what about the Muppets and Fraggle Rock?

I am sad.

Bring back my Mr. Rogers... I hope to see you in Heaven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home