Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Free EXPRESS Vista Upgrade Through Moduslink?

My guess is that this post is going to be found by someone, somewhere, experiencing the same situation that I am. I purchased my laptop in January with the anticipation of a free Vista upgrade. Not just free, but EXPRESS. The word EXPRESS implies fast, faster than the other forms of acquisition. And if you call 4 months faster than walking into Best Buy, then that would be "express."

I have experienced the biggest headache ever attempting to get my "express" upgrade. I present to you, dear reader, the time line. And while I have all the email correspondence, I shall post the short version, if you can call it that.

  1. Purchase laptop, order "free" upgrade costing me twenty some US dollars for "shipping."
  2. Submit all paperwork a few short weeks after acquisition of the laptop (I had to make sure I was keeping it.
  3. Discussion with Moduslink, back and forth, about what they needed.
  4. Submit all paperwork/scans. Wait one month.
  5. Find out that they did not receive the information. It is important to note that they did not write to me to tell me that they didn't get the information - I inquired after they sent me an email about being overtaxed for shipping. Resubmit with slightly frustrated email inquiring why no one thought to write me to let me know they could not open the file I sent. Get confirmation of receipt and an email confirming that my order has been processed. Date? February 17. Waiting period? 4-6 weeks.
  6. Carefully read email about how to track my Vista, how the last date for submission to receive my was March 31, etc.
  7. Inquire on March 26 about my Vista, and why it hasn't been shipped, and why the status only says "confirmed". Get automated response to "check the website." No human response, no idea what is going on.
  8. Check the website, realize it has NOT been shipped over 2 months after the submission date (April 11). Write email commenting on this and requesting that a human writes me back to let me know what is going on.
  9. Get two emails back almost immediately. First saying my order has been cancelled (John from Moduslink sent me this one) and the second CONFIRMING MY ORDER again, telling me it will be 4-6 weeks until I get my Vista upgrade.
  10. Get very, very angry. If the order is cancelled, I wont be able to re-order because the submission date has passed. If the order hasn't been cancelled, then I still have no idea what is going on.
How can a company get a contract from Microsoft and many of the major laptop manufacturers and drop the ball so pitifully? I have no idea what is going on now, and am quite frankly tired with the whole thing. How can Acer stand behind this company as well?

And Microsoft wonders why so many people steal their operating system/software.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home