Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Weddings, Weddings, Everywhere... Weddings, Weddings, In My Hair!

My bestest friend (aka my "wife) is getting married to *gasp* a man. While some of you re-read that sentence a few times, I will continue to type about nothing. Shall I explain? Okay, since you asked so nicely.

It was the Spring semester of 12th grade and I was taking Law 12 with Mr. Derbyshire. He was famous in the school as a fair and just man - and more for being a superfun law teacher. (Note: for those of you who are confused by the term, superfun, think "fun" on steroids and cocaine) We lovingly called him Mr. D (didn't everyone have a Mr. Insertletterhere?)

I hadn't been attending the school for long and my only friends were ones that I hijacked from my cousin who had attended the school since 8th grade. It was only a few weeks into the semester when this girl called me out for kicking her table for the majority of class. "Would you mind not kicking my table?"

I hadn't realized I was doing it.

"Oops, sorry!"

Bit by bit we became friends and started hanging out at lunch, etc. We'd talk, hang out as much as possible and bitch about what every teenager does - our parents. One day, after school we went to the mall where I bought a pregnancy test. She came back to my house where we took it. Within 30 seconds of peeing on the stick, I called her into the bathroom to a positive result. Uh oh.

She was super supportive that week (she didn't have to be, we had only known eachother a few weeks at this point) but the deal sealer was the day that I miscarried and she skipped school to sit at the hospital all afternoon. It was at this point that I knew that I knew I had a friend for life. Who on earth risks detention, suspension and the wrath of Daddy (in this case, wrath is an understatement) to help someone who they barely know?

I'll tell you who. She does. She even brings you home, gives you a hot water bottle, keeps your boyfriend there, and feeds you Chunky Chicken Noodle soup (which you gladly accept after a day at the hospital!)

So when the "get married in class" project came up, and we looked around the class, the only person we were willing to tie the proverbial knot with, was eachother. And that is how she became my wife. So Craig, you can marry her legally, but she will always be my Wife. If best friends could enter into some ridiculous legal contract to bind you for life, we would have happily done it years ago.

And now she's getting married. And I will stand beside her, silently giving her away, fixing her veil and dress, and be proud of the woman she became.

Until that day though? It will be WEDDINGS WEDDINGS EVERYWHERE! Dreams of her wedding plans, doing something stupid, forgetting something stupid, and even reading bridal magazines permeate every ounce of my being. And if anyone asks why I do it, I'll point them to this post and only ask them to read the first half, or I'll let them spend half an hour with the bride and I'm quite sure the question will be thoroughly answered.

April 10th is our 10 year anniversary, and as we always joke, we beat most of Hollywood!

I hope all is well in your world

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home