Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Ignorance is Bliss

I do believe that some time ago, I wrote an entry discussing the fact that we live in a bubble. By this I mean that the majority of our peers have no idea what is going on in the world, fail to choose or form their own opinions, and constantly live in denial.

I have been frequenting a few different message boards lately to see just what kind of people where out there. One of the boards I joined should have been filled with people who, like me, have achieved some level of higher education. The beauty of higher education is it asks you to question what you know, and draw conclusions for yourself. At least this is what I value as an outcome of obtianing it. So why is it, that the highest level of ignorance was witnessed on this board? Petty arguments, poorly formed arguments, attacks of character, and blatant stupidity have seemed to be the common place on this particular forum for the past week. I wonder to myself - why argue? It isn't as though they are willing to really look at what they are saying - and their arguments are not even backed with evidence or knowledge, they are backed with half-assed alligations (and me, being the way I am, must have some form of evidence or strong argument to make me change my opinion, wasn't challenged to say the least). So what I saw happening was personal attacks on people - purely out of ignorance, and lack of ability to say three simple words. "I am/was wrong."

Why are these words so hard for my generation (and those below me) to say? We have been brought up in a society that is filled with excuses and assumptions. No one is willing to take responsiblity for their thoughts or feelings, and everyone claims they are open-minded, when in reality, they are only open to ideas that please them or fit into their own personal schemas. I suppose, in my generation, ignorance really is bliss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home