Thursday, December 25, 2003

An Early But Wonderful Christmas Morning

This has been one heck of a year. My parents in the accident, my uncle in an accident, and all that in addition to daily life and its wonderous stressors. Tonight, after midnight mass, we came to the conclusion that we should have present opening early as Mom had the responsibilty of administering communion to tomorrows 9:30 mass. So, we all sat down and opened our presents.

For me, I wanted to see Mom and Dad enjoy what D and I had put together for them. We really spent alot of time figuring out what and how to put together a great gift, and we feel we were successful. It was a gift for them - a bed table so they could play cards together in comfort, some gourmet Italian bread knot bites, some gourmet olive oils and some neat little dipping bowls. Of course, we picked up a good deck of cards for them and a bottle of wine to tie it all together. It was a nice gift that had a lot of thought put into it. I didn't even open a present until they were done.

I didn't even expect a present given that I had gotten my bed for my birthday and for Christmas from them. The neat thing was that they still got me gifts, via Santa Claus. PJ's, perfume, clothing, make up, a toque, a scarf and some gloves... to name a bit. This year, I really felt the love in the room because each gift seemed to be so fitting.. Especially the throw and matching pillows for my bed. I really love the fact that my Mom and Dad together really make you feel known with their gifts.

Christmas isn't about gifts. It is about the birth of a Baby that forever changed the way people felt, thought, and acted. But it is also about love and appreciation and remembering that even though life throws you many curve balls, your family is always there for you. My parents are wonderful examples of this, and Christmas is the time to remember that.

Stopping short of tears is a good idea, but on a final note, the father tonight said something regarding family and forgiveness, for me it struck close to home with my own extended family. People need to forgive eachother for their mistakes and their faults and learn that you only get one shot to live this life to the fullest. Do it wisely and don't hold grudges that leave you feeling an empty spot at the holidays - and remember that the only future we have, is that which we make.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and may you have a wonderful, fulfilling, and prosperous New Year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home